words. speech. quiet.

Category: , , , , , , , By freshouttatime

The Prophet said, "The real patience is at the first stroke of a calamity."

Patience means observing first and reacting later.

I've been thinking about my running mouth lately. I talk way too much. (no this won't be some self inflicting confession) In fact alot of people talk too much. (i also don't want this to be a condemnation of everyone i know)

Rather, i've realized that alot of people talk about meaningless things. Almost as if to fill the airwaves with sound, because silence is far more discomforting than sounds abuzz in the air.

i was out visiting my cousin last week and bhabi mentioned that most people are afraid of silence. People always need to be distracted, but from what? Themselves.

Then this weekend, i was on a little roadtrip with some boston boys and someone mentioned that most people need to talk or they just can't cope. I wanted to put this to a test...who better than myself to try a little experiment on?

I was the designated driver and once everyone fell asleep i was debating whether or not i should listen to music, or sing to myself to pass the time. I observed that i was really inclined to pushing the knob for the radio or to start singing out myself. Just anything, an escape of the human voice. Strange. I caught myself many times. After i seemed to have controlled my voice, i found myself tapping the steering wheel, my foot etc. I was pretty amazed that my subconscious relented finally when i felt a bit drowsy and started reciting to myself.

I tried justifying the failure to resist speech by first believing i'd fall asleep if i didn't, and if i had to talk it may as well be something useful and not mindless jargon.

At night on the way home i tried the same thing, (ibby this was the reason i asked you to not talk to me and to go to sleep, hahaha not cuz i hated you). This time i found myself talking alot in my head, keeping my mind busy with one thought after another, one plan before the first one went thru and so on and so forth until i got home.

It is difficult to become calm with yourself. I can say though i've found success at times through prayer. becoming calm is essentially detaching myself from the troubles. and there sure are troubles.

In calling for myself to be quiet, i'm calling for becoming in tune with one's self. What being in tune means is that you become more observant of the recurring patterns of this dunya, something as simple as traffic signals, to something a bit more complex, like the emotional and intellectual range and reactions of people.

I'm afraid of losing my ability to see the Universal Truth. When i talk or preoccupy myself with useless fodder i really do not get closer to Reality. At these times i grow aware of how deceptive life is, and how attractive making money and indulging in pleasures can become.

So i learn from this

Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 47:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "Anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbor, and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should entertain his guest generously and
anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should talk what is good or keep quiet.

and then i close with this:

When those youths took refuge in the cave, they prayed: "O our Sustainer! Bestow on us grace from Thyself, and endow us, whatever our [outward] condition, with consciousness of what is right!" 18:10

salam shalom peace